Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lovelovelove

San Francisco, the 21st of May 2009

On last Thursday there was a free movie night at the Dolores park. The movie was Amelie which is one of my all time favorite movies. We rode our bikes there after a chai explosion inside my back bag of which my leather jacket still hasn't recovered. I think chai is going to be the new odor of my perfume from now on. If I even get my jacket to look decent anymore and get to wear it. I so hope that I do cause I love the jacket.

The view in front of us at the Dolores park

Anyway, about the movie night. It was so fun. Everybody was sitting next to each other on their blankets on the grass. some people had snacks with them some people just prefered smoking pot. I'm not used to seeing people smoking pot infront of my eyes and I didn't like that. Neither did I like the smell of it. But inspite of that the night was beautiful and the movie made me smile once again. It never seizes to do so.

Cherise, Dillon and me enjoying the movie

I fell in love on Friday. It is official now, I'm in love.. with Lori's diner's Oreo milkshake. Myk and Rachel took me out to Lori's. It's kind of a tradition to take people hotel hopping an to Lori's to have garlic fries and Oreo milkshake. Oh my gosh, I've never tasted anything like it. I couldn't stop talking about the milkshake and now I'm craving some more of it everyday. I'm definitely gonna have it again before leaving back home to Finland. And I'm gonna miss it so much and look forward to our next meeting.

Me, Myk and Rachel,
we love Oreo milkshake


Lori's Diner

Tae bo is still something that we do here at the base with girls. It's good work out even though I'm not the biggest fan of it. We always have such a great time doing it. This week we expanded our arsenal into pilates. It's a lot less swettier but still good for your body.

This is some serious work out

The weekend was so nice again. Jesus just loves pampering me. We went to Luke's pool on both days and now I get to say that yes, I am tanned and I'm so happy for that. As if it was the most important thing in the world but I still like it.

The roof pool

On Saturday on our way back from the pool I wanted to video tape a little piece of the life on Ellis Street of Tenderloin. You can see it down here. It's not a very long video and at the end of it the footage is not very good material cause I got a bit scared and wanted to get inside the base quite quick. There was a woman on the streets that didn't like me using my camera and was getting quite angry and shouting at me to put the camera down. You can actually hear some of it on the video piece.


The Ellis street of Tenderloin

I just love the Ancheta family. It is so easy to be around them; they make me feel so at home and they're so sweet people. On Sunday Myk, the son of the family, came to pick me up to go to the Yerba Buena gardens. We hang out there with their family. Afterward they took me out to the Old Siam which is one of my favorite restaurants here since I love thai food. They've been such a blessing to me. I think that even though I still don't know them that well, they might be a bit similar to me than the Caruana family in Australia is for my roommate.

This week I started to edit the video project. It's been fun but I still have a lot to do to get it done. This far I've worked with iMovie but will continue to work with Final Cut express next week. It's a better program and easier for me to use.

I've also started to run every day before our morning meetings. My body doesn't like that much of running right after waking up but I've heard that it's good for your body and i like to get it over with right in the morning. And it's not that big of a project cause the only things you need to do is to put on your jogging clothes and you're ready. When jogging later on in the day you always need to change clothes and take a shower and make yourself ready to continue the day looking decent. So in many ways it is better to do it in the mornings.

My Rolls Royce and me on our
way to the Bottom of the Hill

On Tuesday, oh my, I'm so excited about this, me and Rachel headed to the Potrero hill and to a club called the Bottom of the Hill. Manchester Orchestra was about to play there that night. We tried to get in even though we knew that the concert was sold out but no, they didn't let us in. We were so disappointed cause we really wanted to hear them play. Well.. at least we had a good bike ride and got to see the financial district out from the distance. But the story isn't over yet. Two hours later we along with Laura wanted to try to get in again and that was when the fun part started. The porter took us in and said that he would take care of us. So we got in for free. The tickets would have cost 14 dollars each and Manchester Orchestra hadn't even started to play yet. So we were very lucky.

Out at a patio after the concert

Tired concert debriefers at
the dining area of the base

I really liked the band even though I had only heard some of their songs earlier. I felt so at home there. And actually I feel so at home in this city and with these people too. Rachel is one of the best girls here. I love hanging out with her. We have the same taste in music, we love riding bikes, doing stuff and she's so easy and fun to be around. She's definitely my best friend here.

Rach playing Manchester Orchestra;
notice the cool vinyl player she has

I just realized a couple of days ago that, wow, I think I have learned to love myself a bit more. It's not that I haven't loved myself but in many things I tend to be very strict to myself and always strive for perfection. On many things I'm quite hard on myself and almost never let myself go easy on anything. Since I've been here in a way I've been on a holiday. I've allowed myself to eat things that I never allow me to eat back home and in general taking it a bit easier. And it has felt good and something that I want to keep up with in Finland too. But I think it might have something to do with this culture too cause to me it seems like people are not as hard on themselves here than in Finland. It's so sad that back home especially girls tend to compete against one another when it comes to weight and beauty. Maybe I'm a bit exaggerating now but in some ways it is like that. And it is so easy to go with the float and let all that kinds of things start to affect to you as well. But I'm so glad about this change in me, and I know that it's something that God is rejoicing of too. Actually, He commands us to love ourselves.

Love your neighbor as yourself
Matthew 22:39

If we don't love ourselves how can we ever love somebody else? And if we only love ourselves a little, we will love others as much too, or should I say as little. And I do want to love a lot! Oh man, this was like some really deep talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment